Marine Scrubber Wastewater Treatment – Marine sox reduction
By 2020, the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) has mandated the sulphur reduction to 0.5% (down from 3.5%) which means the end-user market for potential scrubber installations over the next 4 years is 30.000 vessels. Inside the Emission Control Areas (ECA) the regulations are even stricter, where the limit of SOx and particulate matter emissions is 0.10% on and after January 2015. Shipowners can meet lower sulphur emission standards in different ways. Ships can meet the requirement by using more costly low-sulphur compliant fuel oil or using approved equivalent methods such as a “Scrubbers”, which clean the emissions.
With a LiqTech Water Treatment Solution Scrubber System, suppliers can continue to offer shipowners to operate on heavy fuel compared to the more costly marine gas oil while operating in IMO regulated areas.
Our solution will treat the water from the scrubber tower into a process tank where it is reused again into the scrubber tower.
This enables the ship to run in “closed loop” with no wastewater discharged overboard. Instead, the SOx particle is filterered and concentrated in our Silicon Carbide membranes and further dewatered in a filterpress providing bulk discharge of waste into waste handling station while in port.
LiqTech has developed a very compact and efficient solution which have already successfully been installed as retrofit on a number of cruise ships. We offer a compact solution which provides the possibility for installation through existing doorways and bulks making installation and commissioning very efficient. Further benefit of the LiqTech solution is a very consistent cleaning of the process water – even under changing conditions in ocean temperatures, organic matter and engine load.
The complete treatment train includes an efficient dewatering solution reducing the volume discharge of sludge which has significant savings for the ship owners.
Modular Design For Flexible Installation
LiqTech innovative filter skid lifting and separation solution makes it easy for lifting, transport and installation. With LiqTech’s innovative modular design, it is easy to install the marine wastewater solution on retrofits and new builds. The solution makes it possible to further increase capacity after install if needed.
- Separation of filter skid for ease of installation
- Lifting eye bolts for lifting
- Handles and pipes to be turned and/or removed
- Possibility to increase capacity
Features & Benefits
- Guaranteed compliance with International Maritime Organization (IMO) discharge regulations
- Shipowners can continue to operate on heavy fuel compared to the costlier marine gas oil while operating in IMO regulated areas
- Reduced scrubber sludge volume and handling costs
- Consistent quality of treated water
- Modular system design for flexible installation
- Future proof investment with post-treatment options
- Robust filtration technology
- Uses less energy and saves water
Benefits of our SiC Membrane Technology
- Unmatched flux
- Chemically inert
- Small footprint
- Efficient cleaning
- Excellent thermal properties
- Unmatched performance
- Long service life – less maintenance